Natural Science Education Minor with Teaching Credential (NSEC)
NSEC is a joint program with UC Berkeley. Completing the NSEC minor allows students to graduate simultaneously with both a bachelor's degree from UC Merced and a Single Subject teaching credential in science or mathematics from UC Berkeley.
- Open to STEM majors at UC Merced (i.e. Biology, Math, Engineering majors)
- Spend a semester at UC Berkeley taking both teacher education coursework as well as courses from your major!
- Experience teaching in both rural and urban schools.
- Become part of a larger cohort of teachers from UC Berkeley and UC Merced!
- Complete 26 units of NSEC coursework at UC Merced (see list of courses below)
- Complete 10 units of credential coursework or 7 units and summer research institute at UC Berkeley
- Prepare and submit an application to the CalTeach Teaching Credential program at UC Berkeley that consists of the following:
- Completed application form
- Prepare a portfolio that highlights the work you have done in your CalTeach courses
- Pass two California State tests: the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) and the California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST)
- Once a student is admitted into the Teaching Credential program, she/he enroll and complete two courses to receive a single subject teaching credential:
- UGIS 303 - Supervised Apprentice Teaching- Seminar
- NSED 184 - Supervised Apprentice Teaching - Student Teaching
NSEC Course Requirements
Two lower division NSED seminar courses (2 units)
- NSED 23 or 33: Introduction to Teaching Elementary School Science or Math
- NSED 43 or 53: Introduction to Teaching Middle School Science or Math
- NSED 63 or 73: Introduction to Teaching High School Science or Math
Two lower division NSED fieldwork courses (total of 60 hours of fieldwork) (2 units)
- NSED 24 or 34: Fieldwork in Elementary School Science or Math
- NSED 44 or 54: Fieldwork in Middle School Science or Math
- NSED 64 or 74: Fieldwork in High School Science or Math
PSY 130: Developmental Psychology (4 units) or Cognitive Psychology (4 units)
NSED 100: Project Based Instruction: Assessment and Management for beginning Teachers (4 units)
NSED 120: Classroom Interactions in Science and Mathematics: A focus on Equity in Urban and Rural Schools (4 units)
Writing 115: Topics in Science Writing OR other upper division writing course (4 units)
HISTORY 16: Forging of the US (4 units) OR POLI 1: Introduction to Political Science (4 units)
NSEC UC Berkeley Coursework
EDUC 130: Knowing and Learning in Mathematics and Science (3 units)
HIST 138T, 180T or 187T: History of Science in the US and the Cal Teach Perspectives (4 units)
UGIS 188: Research Methods for Science and Mathematics K-12 Teachers (3 units) OR UGIS 189: Integrating Research Methods into K-12 Teaching Summer Research Institute
Coursework after official admission into the credentialing program:
UGIS 303: Supervised Apprentice Teaching - Semester (3 units)
NSED 184: Supervised Apprentice Teaching - Fieldwork (2-6 units)
*Note: since NSEC coursework amounts to less than full-time semester status at UC Berkeley, students will be able to complete coursework that will fulfill requirements for their major during semester a UC Berkeley.
Link to NSED Course Syllabi: https://ucmerced.box.com/v/calteachsyllabi
To add the minor stop by the CalTeach office in S&E1 270 or email email@example.com to set up an appointment!