Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for most up to date information about the fall semester.Campus ReadyCOVID Help
School of Natural Sciences

NSED Minors

Natural Science Education Minor (NSED) 

The NSED minor allows students to complete courses at UC Merced to introduce students to the classroom and develop skills used to run a classroom efficiently. This will give help students gain experience and prepare them to excel through a teaching credential program. 

  • Open to ALL majors at UC Merced!
  • The NSED minor provides most of the requirements for any teaching credential program in the State of California.
  • Learn what it is like to be a teacher, including classroom management techniques.
  • Gain over 60 hours of experience in an elementary, middle, or high school classroom!

NSED Course Requirements

Total of 24 units completed at UC Merced

Lower-division Introduction to Teaching Elementary School Science or Math Seminar and FIeldwork (2 Units)

  • NSED 23 or 33: Introduction to Teaching Elementary School Science or Math
  • NSED 24 or 34: Fieldwork in Elementary School Science or Math (30 hours)

One additional seminar and fieldwork course (2 units)

  • NSED 43 or 53: Introduction to Teaching Middle School Science or Math
  • NSED 44 or 54: Fieldwork in Middle School Science or Math (30 hours)


  • NSED 63 or 73: Introduction to Teaching High School Science or Math
  • NSED 63 or 73: Fieldwork in High School Science or Math (30 hours)
Graduate student wearing stole and regalia

PSY 130: Developmental Psychology (4 units) or Cognitive Psychology (4 units)

NSED 100: Project-Based Instruction: Assessment and Management for beginning Teachers (4 units)

NSED 120: Classroom Interactions in Science and Mathematics: A focus on Equity in Urban and Rural Schools (4 units)

Writing 115: Topics in Science Writing OR another upper-division writing course (4 units)

HISTORY 16: Forging of the US (4 units) OR POLI 1: Introduction to Political Science (4 units)

* All of the NSED courses are approved under the UC Merced General Education requirements. Please click here to view the GE requirements fulfilled.

What can I do with my NSED minor?

  • Earn your teaching credential through one of our partner programs 
  • UC Merced students who graduate with their Bachelors and have their CSETs & CBEST complete can be hired as an intern for local school districts.

Link to NSED Course Syllabi:

To add the minor stop by the CalTeach office in S&E1 270 or email to set up an appointment!