Natural Science Education Minor (NSED)
The NSED minor allows students to complete courses at UC Merced to introduce students to the classroom and develop skills used to run a classroom efficiently. This will give help students gain experience and prepare them to excel through a teaching credential program.
- Open to ALL majors at UC Merced!
- The NSED minor provides most of the requirements for any teaching credential program in the State of California.
- Learn what it is like to be a teacher, including classroom management techniques.
- Gain over 60 hours of experience in an elementary, middle, or high school classroom!
NSED Course Requirements
Total of 24 units completed at UC Merced
Lower-division Introduction to Teaching Elementary School Science or Math Seminar and FIeldwork (2 Units)
NSED 23 or 33: Introduction to Teaching Elementary School Science or Math
NSED 24 or 34: Fieldwork in Elementary School Science or Math (30 hours)
One additional seminar and fieldwork course (2 units)
NSED 43 or 53: Introduction to Teaching Middle School Science or Math
NSED 44 or 54: Fieldwork in Middle School Science or Math (30 hours)
NSED 63 or 73: Introduction to Teaching High School Science or Math
NSED 63 or 73: Fieldwork in High School Science or Math (30 hours)
PSY 130: Developmental Psychology (4 units) or Cognitive Psychology (4 units)
NSED 100: Project-Based Instruction: Assessment and Management for beginning Teachers (4 units)
NSED 120: Classroom Interactions in Science and Mathematics: A focus on Equity in Urban and Rural Schools (4 units)
Writing 115: Topics in Science Writing OR another upper-division writing course (4 units)
HISTORY 16: Forging of the US (4 units) OR POLI 1: Introduction to Political Science (4 units)
* All of the NSED courses are approved under the UC Merced General Education requirements. Please click here to view the GE requirements fulfilled.
What can I do with my NSED minor?
- Earn your teaching credential through one of our partner programs
- UC Merced students who graduate with their Bachelors and have their CSETs & CBEST complete can be hired as an intern for local school districts.
Link to NSED Course Syllabi: https://ucmerced.box.com/v/calteachsyllabi
To add the minor stop by the CalTeach office in S&E1 270 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment!