Natural Science Education Minor (NSED)
NSED is the standard minor where students will fulfill a certain amount of courses at UC Merced to work on skills used to run a classroom efficiently. This will give students an edge when going through a credential program since they will already be equipped with these lessons to help them excel.
- The NSED minor provides most of the requirements for any teaching credential program in the State of California.
- Learn what it is like to be a teacher, including classroom management techniques.
- Gain over 60 hours of experience in an elementary, middle, or high school classroom!
- Open to ALL majors at UC Merced!
NSED Course Requirements
Total of 24 units completed at UC Merced.
Two lower division NSED seminar courses (2 units)
- NSED 23 or 33: Introduction to Teaching Elementary School Science or Math
- NSED 43 or 53: Introduction to Teaching Middle School Science or Math
- NSED 63 or 73: Introduction to Teaching High School Science or Math
Two lower division NSED fieldwork courses (total of 60 hours of fieldwork) (2 units)
- NSED 24 or 34: Fieldwork in Elementary School Science or Math
- NSED 44 or 54: Fieldwork in Middle School Science or Math
- NSED 63 or 73: Fieldwork in High School Science or Math
PSY 130: Developmental Psychology (4 units) or Cognitive Psychology (4 units)
NSED 100: Project Based Instruction: Assessment and Management for beginning Teachers (4 units)
NSED 120: Classroom Interactions in Science and Mathematics: A focus on Equity in Urban and Rural Schools (4 units)
Writing 115: Topics in Science Writing OR other upper division writing course (4 units)
HISTORY 16: Forging of the US (4 units) OR POLI 1: Introduction to Political Science (4 units)
* All of the NSED courses are approved under the UC Merced General Education requirements. Please click here to view the GE requirements fulfilled.
What can I do with my NSED minor?
- Credential Program Options through CalTeach
- UC Merced students who graduate with their Bachelors and have their CSETs & CBEST complete can be hired as an intern for local school districts.
Link to NSED Course Syllabi: https://ucmerced.box.com/v/calteachsyllabi